Saturday, October 10, 2009

Memory for keeps: Safeway Manila CSR initiative

A lot of people were affected by Bagyong Ondoy - there were a lot of goverment and non-goverment groups trying to help in any way they can - rescue missions, food distributions, donations..

My family was affected by Ondoy - flood water rising up to the chest came inside our house during the typhoon - there was nobody there to move all our stuff to the second floor, so our things floated for 12 hours in flood water - washing machine, ref, treadmill, microwave, over toaster, tv, desktop computer and dvd player, plus my whole cabinet of clothes! It was heartbreaking to know that we will be starting from scratch again.. When I arrived home we started cleaning, brushing walls, picking up clothes and stuff from the mud covered ground. Even in our best efforts to restore the place to anything that resembles a home, wala tlaga e..

I know there are a lot of families far more affected than we are, so it did not cross mymind that anybody would extend any help. I have to admit that being the 'ate', i was so pressured on how to manage my income to meet our needs, and the added pressure of getting the house into tiptop shape is getting to my nerves.  Haaay. So it was like a ray of sunshine when my Safeway Manila family extended some help - there was a box full of stuff we basically need, it was a well thought of intiative, there were clothes, canned goods, toiletries and even treats for my brothers and sisters. Words can't express the gratitude I feel towards my co-employees!

That box did not give back everyhting we lost, but it gave us the strength go move forward and rebuild the life we lost. A shoutout to ever Safeway employee who contributed! Hugs to all..

No comments:

Post a Comment