Friday, June 7, 2013

My first Insulin shot

Okay, so I am officially a diabetic and the proof would be my pricked fingers and a tiny needle hole on the side of my thigh. Yes, I just had my first insulin shot three hours ago. Was it painful? Yes it was, but not as painful as I imagined it to be. The pain was the same level as getting a blood extraction. It was bearable but given another option I would not wish to do this two times a day for the rest of my pregnancy. 

It took me two calls to my mom and a lot of convincing from Miguel to finally inject myself with my first 6 units of insulin. I felt brave after finishing the longest 10 seconds of my life. I felt happy that this shot would help me and my baby girl. They say first times are always the hardest - injecting yourself is not an exception. I heard that things would be more.. easier? I hope so. 

Aside from the mini seminar that we attended earlier, it helped that I was able to watch youtube videos on how to inject the insulin. They make it look a lot easier on the video though. Truth be told it was downright scary that I cried before actually poking myself with a needle.

For first timers, the best tip would be to find a good support group. They would help you remember your end goal and they would be able to help you go through the experience -- talking helps. A lot. Plus maybe you'd be helping the people you love by showing them how uncomfortable and inconvenient being unhealthy is. 

I hope the second time would be a lot easier. We'll find out tomorrow. *sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment