Friday, May 23, 2014

The Real Deal

When I was pregnant, I was a lurker of every girl, parenting and baby forums. The nearer I was to my due date the more praning I got. A big belly also doubles as a laptop stand that time, which I guess encouraged me to stay online a lot. I read thousands of articles and countless forum entries but all of that did not prepare me for motherhood. One mother's story may be relatable but not applicable. 

The first night that Gari spent with us in the hospital room was crazy! I can't make her latch at all, she pooped and she threw up and she cried, all of those things happening at the same time with just me and Miguel with her. I was still recovering from my c-section at that time, by the way. I was scared to sleep because Gari looked so fragile in her pink swaddle, I check her breathing every few minutes and I just looked at her all night long. Talk about praning, noh?

When we got home, we decided to co-sleep at night. It would be easier for the both of us to not move much. Sleepless nights started, waking up to feed every 3 hours, changing newborn nappies. I followed everybody's advise to sleep when the baby is sleeping - best advise ever! We slowly developed a routine - wake up, paaraw, take a bath, sleep, wake up, milky time, sleep milky time sleep, sponge bath, milky time, sleep. 

The whole 2 months were all about the baby. I lost some of the baby weight but I'm 10lbs shy of my pre-pregnancy weight. I had circles in my eyes, a bit of a slouch because I was afraid to stand straight because I'm still praning about my cut, I can't finish my sentences and I snored while sleeping. I was a mess.. a happy mess.

Motherhood is the best thing that happened to me. I like to think that it made me selfless and mature. It's the real deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment